File Problems
Website/Forum
Episode Playback
Miscellaneous

Description

Episodes

Recommendations

Discuss

Senki Zesshou Symphogear, Music Battle Anime!

Pages: (2) 1 [2] 
Norren-dono   Feb 25 2012, 03:10 AM Quote
Well, this episode was quite surprising and a bit disappointing.

Miku and Chris bumping into each other was a pleasant surprise. Also, at some point I want to see the activation phrases for the songs written out - it wasn't until Chris' song that I realized the artifact name shows up in the chant. (mostly because hibiki can't pronounce gungir.)

I'm a little disappointed Miku and Hibiki patched things up so fast.  I was hoping they'd hold the suspense a little longer.  That said, I loved the way it finally worked out - do note the picture they took is the picture from the gravestone in the first ep.

Ryoko shows up late and it's played for laughs. That does not sit right with me.

This post has been edited by Norren on Feb 25 2012, 03:13 AM

Killer_Ossi Retired   Feb 25 2012, 06:43 PM Quote
It wasnt really a surprise that Hibiki and Miku made up again pretty fast. After all they were friends for a long time so its normal since at that point you either get over it fast or never.

I really want to know just who or what Mr Red-shirt is since is power is abnormal. He cant be a normal human.

Since Chris and Miku met I think Chris has something to do with Hibikis death. My theory is that Hibiki uses her swan song against Ryouko to save Chris and Miku takes Hibikis place to defeat Ryoko together with Chris while Tsubasa stays the advisor for the rest of the show.

[Admin note: Sig removed due to negative comments toward the community]

senpai-kun-nakama   Retired Feb 27 2012, 10:59 AM Quote
QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Feb 25 2012, 07:43 PM)
Hibiki uses her swan song against Ryouko to save Chris and Miku takes Hibikis place to defeat Ryoko together with Chris while Tsubasa stays the advisor for the rest of the show.

Hmm so you think Ryoko becomes the villain of the story? I guess that's an interesting take because I honestly hadn't even thought that a possibility. Though where does that other frequently naked chick that cast aside Chris fit into the plot blink.gif

QUOTE (Norren @ Feb 25 2012, 04:10 AM)

Miku and Chris bumping into each other was a pleasant surprise.  Also, at some point I want to see the activation phrases for the songs written out - it wasn't until Chris' song that I realized the artifact name shows up in the chant.  (mostly because hibiki can't pronounce gungir.)

I'm a little disappointed Miku and Hibiki patched things up so fast.  I was hoping they'd hold the suspense a little longer.  That said, I loved the way it finally worked out - do note the picture they took is the picture from the gravestone in the first ep.
me.

Is Chris going to be a Hibiki replacement for Miku? It's unfortunate that Hibiki is going to die because she is my favorite character of the series. Hopefully it will still be suspenseful even though we already know the outcome. Is there even a possibility that Hibiki doesn't die/or stay dead I wonder. I remember Ryoko saying in a previous episode that Hibiki's fusion was unique. They should explain this in more detail. Maybe instead of dying by using her swan song it will turn out to be something entirely different.

Killer_Ossi Retired   Feb 27 2012, 03:50 PM Quote
QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Feb 27 2012, 05:59 PM)
Hmm so you think Ryoko becomes the villain of the story? I guess that's an interesting take because I honestly hadn't even thought that a possibility. Though where does that other frequently naked chick that cast aside Chris fit into the plot blink.gif

Please tell me that this is a joke, sarcasm or irony. Please, senpai say it.

But for the very very unlikely possiblity you were serious then I have to ask you just how you could not realize that the blonde chick is Ryoko.
The same hair (when Ryoko has it open), the same voice, the same eyecolor, Royko having the suitcase of the killed Defense Minister, the way Chris was looking at Ryoko while fighting Hibiki in ep 5 and how Ryoko was looking at the sword (ep 5 too) and overall the whole beheaviour of Ryoko makes it so obvious.

senpai-kun-nakama   Retired Feb 27 2012, 05:39 PM Quote
QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Feb 27 2012, 04:50 PM)
Please tell me that this is a joke, sarcasm or irony. Please, senpai say it.

But for the very very unlikely possiblity you were serious then I have to ask you just how you could not realize that the blonde chick is Ryoko.
The same hair (when Ryoko has it open), the same voice, the same eyecolor, Royko having the suitcase of the killed Defense Minister, the way Chris was looking at Ryoko while fighting Hibiki in ep 5 and how Ryoko was looking at the sword (ep 5 too) and overall the whole beheaviour of Ryoko makes it so obvious.

"Because I honestly hadn't even thought of that as a possibility. Though where does that other frequently naked chick that cast aside Chris fit into the plot." A lot of the times my saracasm and or humor misses the mark when I don't directly spell it out and just hint at it. Eh, it's one of my flaws that I've just learned to live with... what can I say...

Episode 9
Senki Zesshou Symphogear @ Anime.Fansub.TV   Notification Mar 02 2012, 04:16 PM

Norren-dono   Mar 04 2012, 04:27 AM Quote
Tsubasa's agent and the commander from Lag-rin need to start a support group for abused supporting males.

Killer_Ossi Retired   Mar 04 2012, 10:30 AM Quote
So it seems that Tsubasa is stopping fighting the noise to go overseas which leaves an open space where Miku or Chris could get in.
Too bad if that really happens since I really like Tsubasa and the dress she was wearing at her concert was just great, she looked really beautiful in it.

The talk Mr Redshirt gave Chris made me smile and think "just you wait till you find out that your wife betrays you". Im so looking forward to that.

Norren-dono   Mar 04 2012, 03:26 PM Quote
I'm curious to see what happens with that whole overseas deal. I think it's a ploy to get her artifact.

I hope Chris is eventually going to get over her tsun-tsun anti-hero role soon, she seriously needs a cooldown hug.

Episode 10
Senki Zesshou Symphogear @ Anime.Fansub.TV   Notification Mar 09 2012, 10:36 PM

Killer_Ossi Retired   Mar 12 2012, 11:16 AM Quote
@Norren: Chris just got her cooldown hug in ep 10 ^^

As it seems Mr. Redshirt knows about the misdoings of his wife, who currently seems to attack the school. My guess is that next week we get to the point where the series started with Hibiki sacrificing herself to save the people of the school.

Norren-dono   Mar 12 2012, 02:03 PM Quote
The way Ep 10's climax should have gone:
Chris: "I have a plan!  I'll charge up and blow them away!"
Tsubasa: "..."
'biki: "..."
Chris: "... what?  that's what we ALWAYS DO!"

The way Ep 10's climax actually went:
Chris: "I have a plan!  I'll charge up and blow them all away!"
'biki and Tsubasa: "Brilliant!  Welcome to the team you'll pretend to ditch and be tsuntsun to come the op of next episode! biggrin.gif "

Ahh, good writers. How badly this show needs them.

Episode 11
Senki Zesshou Symphogear @ Anime.Fansub.TV   Notification Mar 16 2012, 04:41 PM

Killer_Ossi Retired   Mar 18 2012, 08:01 PM Quote
Chris sacrificing herself was a huge surprise which probably no one saw ever coming.

Just like I thought Mr. Redshirt did know what Ryouko did, but made the big mistake to let her do what she wants too long. And whats with the reason he got so strong by watching movies? Reminds me of the kid in the second TMNT movie who thought hes a great ninja by watching movies.

Episode 12
Senki Zesshou Symphogear @ Anime.Fansub.TV   Notification Mar 23 2012, 04:23 PM

Episode 13
Senki Zesshou Symphogear @ Anime.Fansub.TV   Notification Mar 30 2012, 05:00 PM

Norren-dono   Apr 02 2012, 04:31 PM Quote
A satisfying finale. Pretty much went about the way you'd expect, in all honesty. I really can't say much about the story of the finale since it felt like the last boss in a grind RPG without the actual hours of grinding to make it satisfying. This story would've been really nice as a 35 hour RPG story back in 1998 or so if you could've somehow got a SNES game to have MP3 quality insert songs; as an anime's story, it's. just. bad.

On the songs, they were almost all great. Of all the songs I really want to get MP3s of... I find myself wishing the swan-song had a 2~3 minute version for loop play when writing. Hauntingly beautiful in all the right ways.

I'm not really sure what number to give this one, so I'll just say "average with badass music".

This post has been edited by Norren on Apr 02 2012, 05:10 PM

Killer_Ossi Retired   Apr 08 2012, 09:51 AM Quote
To be honest this was better than I was expecting it to be. Still not great but good enough to keep me entertained.
I liked all those overplayed and overstyled actions, emotions and characters.
Only thig that couldve been better was more Kanade. But at least she was almost always naked when we saw her tongue.gif

Storywise it was a nice little approach with Fines character and goal. It defenitely has the potential to get used in a serious show.

7/10 from me.

Kit-Tsukasa-desu   Fansub TV Leaders Jun 23 2012, 05:14 PM Quote
Senki Zesshou Symphogear (hereafter known as Symphogear) is an original work by Noriyasu Agematsu and Akifumi Kaneko. Agematsu has worked on the music for a number of shows prior to this title, including Ga-Rei -Zero- and Girls Bravo as well as the ongoing Mouretsu Uchuu Kaizoku. As for Kaneko, this is his debut title. With animation provided by Satelight, Encourage Films, and Studio Pastoral, and music co-produced by Elements Garden, this show became the wildcard of the Winter 2012 season and boy was it one. With a strong cast to boot, does Symphogear live up to its initial hype?

I'll give the short answer to the above question for the story: NO! The show's story is terrible. First it spoils what is pretty much the end of the series in the first 2-5 minutes of the first episode and then makes you sit through 13 episodes to basically see what happens. I will say, however, that like many people, I was quite surprised by the first episode. It was an incredibly strong start with good action and an interesting setup. It showed a lot of potential but all of that quickly went down the drain as the series dragged on and Hibiki became the replacement for Kanade. For Suite Precure fans, there's a reference for you right there. Putting that aside, the lackluster explanation of many terminology and concepts in this show only hurt it more. What is the symphogear? What are these hidden relics? Why are they so special? etc... At the end of the day, the show overextends itself and fails to give a proper explanation of any of this and assumes the viewers know what the producers are thinking. It got its pacing down with the "simple story" aspect of "good guy beats bad guy" but even a 5 year old could understand that. With that said, its conclusion is obviously atrocious or rather I should say the last two episodes when a number of characters should have died yet didn't. It ended up being a "let's be friends so that nobody dies" show.

Art is pretty cool actually. Nice concepts and very detailed settings. Heck, even the barren land fights all had pretty detailed work even though one might not immediately notice it. Character designs are okay but the fact that Hibiki looked like her friend Miku was bothersome even with different hair colors. As for animation, it was divided among 3 studios (mentioned earlier). I don't know who did what but Satelight and Encourage Films seemed to have worked on about 75% of the show. All I can say is it was pretty poor overall. Flashy/special effects were great but mech designs were sub par with current/Satelight typical standards and don't even get me started on the bobble-head animation in the first half of the show. Aside from the first episode really, the animation quality for this show was disappointing. It wasn't bad, but now we know what Satelight's limits are in a season...i.e. 4 shows before quality starts dropping (Mouretsu Pirates, Fairy Tail, and Aquarion EVOL were the other titles simultaneously airing). Also, here's what I was referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLm-jeFj3tk

Music is pretty solid as expected from Elements Garden and Agematsu. Good background music and sound effects overall. Seiyuu cast is pretty solid too with a strong line up of Yuka Iguchi, Aoi Yuuki, Minami Takayama, and Nana Mizuki. I was praying for a Two-Mix revival here but looks like it came later...and by later I mean not appearing in this series though it looks like it's true. Aoi Yuuki as Hibiki was rather annoying at times. She sounded like a really whiny Madoka Kaname from Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. At least the show picked Nana Mizuki who is definitely able to sing like a diva/goddess.

Enjoyment? Strong first episode and everything falls apart afterwards is pretty much what sums up this show. You may as well watch the first episode (or even half) and just assume it's a one shot. The fact that the show spoils the ending and makes you sit through it to watch how it unfolds in a crappy manner is not a good way of keeping your audience hooked.

Overall, Symphogear tries to really go away from the current anime norm. It has a sense of originality (well barring the Suite Precure stuff that is) but it really never found a direction outside of "good guy must beat bad guy" logic. It's not a show that will rise from the grave and if it does, I think all hell will break loose. Can't say this is a good start for Kaneko but at least he's got some pretty cool ideas. He just really needs to work on getting a proper story together now, which should seemingly not be difficult when you have ideas. Regardless, this is not a show to waste your time on regardless of how "original" it is. It lacks a plot and most people will likely feel they just wasted about 6 hours of their life on this show.

Preliminary Score: 7/10
Final Score: 4/10

user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
Watchlist Updated
Top 5 Ongoing anime (12/26/2012)
*Note: Gundam Seed HD Remaster does not count*
1) Shinsekai Yori
2) Bakuman 3
3) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
4) Initial D: Fifth Stage
5) Smile Precure!

Norren-dono   Aug 03 2013, 11:50 AM Quote
I feel like I'm the only person watching the second season of this one.

Even the fansub groups seem to be like "Meh, who cares" on it. dry.gif

julezia-chibi   Fansub TV Team Aug 03 2013, 12:23 PM Quote
Awww sad.gif unfortunately I couldn't get through the first season, even though the first ep had a lot of potential. Do you find the 2nd season is an improvement at all?

Norren-dono   Aug 04 2013, 01:36 PM Quote
Ah, that's understandable. The first season hit it's stride just in time to run out of season. (around ep 7 or 8 I think?) Basically, once Tsubasa and Hibiki learned to work together, the series was then able to "Start". (That was basically the end of the intro. that was a loooooong intro.)

The second season feels fairly solid in comparison, with some interesting inversions. An interesting difference they keep making mileage out of this season is the fact that the protagonists are stronger than the antagonists and it shows. The lead antagonist even hangs a lampshade on it right at the end of the two part pilot, their chessmaster comments on it several times, Just about the only way they get any traction at all is by playing off the fact that Hibiki has issues. There's also some implication that the villains this time around are actually working for a good end through less than good means, although their attitudes and methods make that somewhat suspect.

The music is also still good. Tsubasa and the antagonist girl open up the first episode with a duet concert in the same style as the Zwei Wing concert from the first season that's just cool.

So far, I'm liking it quite a bit better than season 1. The Mythology references and ways they're twisted are also fun. The plot is still somewhat weak, but considerably improved considering where it started. (Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this started out as someone's RPGmaker 2K game...)

< Back to Animes >

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topic Start new topicStart Poll