The Gallery
Tutorials

File Problems
Website/Forum
Episode Playback
Miscellaneous

XviD vs H264 - What's the Difference?, XviD or H264

rishidan   Feb 03 2007, 02:13 PM Quote
Forgive me for bringing up a topic that's probably been discussed to death but I'm relatively new to all this and I honestly haven't been able to find an answer to the question above.

So, here's where I'm at:

I've downloaded CCCP (as well as various other codecs / players) and, unless you count the fact that some programs won't play / rewind / associate with mkv's, I really don't see much difference between the two formats.

Normally I'd assume that it solely boiled down to the personal taste of the Fan Sub group but I've noticed that some of them release episodes in both formats.

So, what am I missing?

Please don't toast me too badly. =)

Thanks all,

-=Rish

Harukalover-CCCP taika   Sempais Feb 03 2007, 02:26 PM Quote
Your post doesn't make sense.

Are you asking for a difference between XviD and H264? Or are you asking about a difference between MKV and ****?

Since both H264 and XviD can be contained within an MKV, and the context of your post only seems to be about MKV and some other container format that you never mention. I can not obtain any idea of what you're asking.

Also this probably should be in the miscellaneous section and not the Episode Playback Help section.

CCCP Insurgent | Video/Sound Playback FAQ | a4e Sucks |
Do not PM me for playback help, I will not respond. Use the forums to get help instead.

Bold-kenja sama   Retired Feb 03 2007, 02:30 PM Quote
QUOTE (rishidan @ Feb 03 2007, 04:13 PM)
I've downloaded CCCP (as well as various other codecs / players)
First of all, I just want to mention that installing multiple codecs, unless you are very careful and fully understand what you are doing, will lead to problems.

QUOTE (rishidan @ Feb 03 2007, 04:13 PM)
Normally I'd assume that it solely boiled down to the personal taste of the Fan Sub group but I've noticed that some of them release episodes in both formats.
There are many differences. XviD (and DivX for that matter) are MPEG-4 inspired codecs. But they are not true MPEG-4 since they came out before the MPEG-4 specification was completed. They also only implement a subset of the features and functionnalities.

Now be carefull not to mix MKV with H.264. MKV is only a container. It can contain anything (from DivX, to H.264 and many others)

H.264 is a fully MPEG-4 compatible codecs. For the full technical details, you should read the documents on H.264. But the idea is that H.264 presents a better compression ratio (smaller files for equal quality) and is capable of delivering higher quality than DivX or XviD.

Follow your dreams, Never give up, Never be afraid,
Always remember, Fortune favors the bolds!

---
You like FTV? Leave a thanks for the team :)
---

Proud developer of the AB Syndicate
user posted image

Harukalover-CCCP taika   Sempais Feb 03 2007, 03:10 PM Quote
QUOTE (Bold @ Feb 03 2007, 02:30 PM)
There are many differences. XviD (and DivX for that matter) are MPEG-4 inspired codecs. But they are not true MPEG-4 since they came out before the MPEG-4 specification was completed.

XviD/DivX are both implementations of MPEG-4 part 2's ASP standard. MPEG-4's specifications are still not finalized.

H264 (AVC) is the higher quality video compression standard of MPEG-4. It has a great amount of support thanks to a well designed open source encoder (x264) that is constantly being developed.

Hopefully dual releasing will die out eventually. Most fansub groups/DVD ripping groups are starting to convert over to H264 only and will likely eventually phase out XviD releases.

Until Snow comes along that is...

CCCP Insurgent | Video/Sound Playback FAQ | a4e Sucks |
Do not PM me for playback help, I will not respond. Use the forums to get help instead.

rishidan   Feb 03 2007, 04:34 PM Quote
Thanks for the prompt replies guys, it's much appreciated.
Bold
There are many differences. XviD (and DivX for that matter) are MPEG-4 inspired codecs. But they are not true MPEG-4 since they came out before the MPEG-4 specification was completed. They also only implement a subset of the features and functionnalities.

Now be carefull not to mix MKV with H.264. MKV is only a container. It can contain anything (from DivX, to H.264 and many others)

H.264 is a fully MPEG-4 compatible codecs. For the full technical details, you should read the documents on H.264. But the idea is that H.264 presents a better compression ratio (smaller files for equal quality) and is capable of delivering higher quality than DivX or XviD.

Thanks for the help and advice. From my somewhat limited experience I thought I was asking about two different things. e.g., I was asking about the vase but should have been asking about the flowers that were put into it.

This also explains why VLC crashed and/or caused misc. interesting problems. I'll try to un-futz that ASAP.
Harukalover
Your post doesn't make sense.

Are you asking for a difference between XviD and H264? Or are you asking about a difference between MKV and ****?

Sorry but like I said at the beginning, I'm relatively new to all of this so I thought I had a good idea of what I wanted but I guess I didn't ask it properly. Regardless, it looks as if Bold and yourself were able to sift through the muck that was in my post and figure out what I was generally getting at.
Harukalover

Also this probably should be in the miscellaneous section and not the Episode Playback Help section.

Since it's been answered, I would personally delete it but I don't have that kinda power. Sorry.

Bold-kenja sama   Retired Feb 03 2007, 08:12 PM Quote
QUOTE (rishidan @ Feb 03 2007, 06:34 PM)
Since it's been answered, I would personally delete it but I don't have that kinda power. Sorry.

We don't delete posts. The idea is that the answer must be available if someone else has the same question. Search engines are a wonderful invention!

As for moving the thread, I been thinking about it, but I think it is better suited to remain here. It is a codec question. The most logical place to find codec related questions and answer would be the playback section, the same place that has the playback FAQs.

Don't hesitate to ask again if there is anything you don't fully understand.

Follow your dreams, Never give up, Never be afraid,
Always remember, Fortune favors the bolds!

---
You like FTV? Leave a thanks for the team :)
---

Proud developer of the AB Syndicate
user posted image

nekronos-san   Feb 04 2007, 12:18 AM Quote
xvid is dead imo... only some groups use it for those who prefer it or do dual releases, because h264 requires more processing power to watch... even my computer has a slight pause when first starting up or skipping around videos like ergo proxy which was h264 1280x720

its the next gen of encoding... if anyone noticed gg fansub's encoder released night head genesis at around 80 or 90mb, same quality as an xvid 175mb release h264 ftw!

user posted image
user posted image
"Ye Shall Be God's"

darkdog-dredg   Retired Feb 04 2007, 01:08 AM Quote
xvid isn't dead just because many computers can't handle x264 decently (like mine).. well, usually i can play those files but i notice some frames being dropped, so i prefer lower-quality xvid to not-as-fluid-animation x264...

but as soon as i get a new laptop, i will definitely forget xvid smile.gif x264 really has an edge over the competition!

Harukalover-CCCP taika   Sempais Feb 04 2007, 01:32 AM Quote
QUOTE (Bold @ Feb 03 2007, 08:12 PM)
It is a codec question. The most logical place to find codec related questions and answer would be the playback section, the same place that has the playback FAQs.

We're not talking about codecs.

XviD has a codec called XviD but he's asking about the ASP implementation used by XviD. Also H264 doesn't have any codec called H264. So this is only a discussion on video standards.

(doesn't mean I want the topic moved, but I just want to set it out that the discussion isn't about codecs)

QUOTE (nekronos @ Feb 04 2007, 12:18 AM)

if anyone noticed gg fansub's encoder released night head genesis at around 80 or 90mb, same quality as an xvid 175mb release  h264 ftw!

Not to burst your bubble. But that's more of a case of it just being a show with close to nothing happening in it at all. Because of this it compresses very easily. (not everything needs 175MB)

QUOTE (darkdog @ Feb 04 2007, 01:08 AM)
xvid isn't dead just because many computers can't handle x264 decently (like mine).. well, usually i can play those files but i notice some frames being dropped, so i prefer lower-quality xvid to not-as-fluid-animation x264...

Most computers can handle H264. You only need like a 1.2Ghz processor and you should be able to pull it off with CoreAVC.

Also x264 is not the right name to call H264.

H264 = Video Standard
x264 = An encoding tool used to make an H264 stream

And yes, many groups put [x264] in their filename. Blame it on the idiot who labeled that.

nekronos-san   Feb 09 2007, 03:42 PM Quote
QUOTE (Harukalover @ Feb 04 2007, 01:32 AM)

Not to burst your bubble. But that's more of a case of it just being a show with close to nothing happening in it at all. Because of this it compresses very easily. (not everything needs 175MB)

And yes, many groups put [x264] in their filename. Blame it on the idiot who labeled that.

well of course.... i dont believe i ever said it did? i myself encode files at about 40-50mb using h264.

LOL xvid not dead, yes only for those who cant view h264 tongue.gif

< Back to Episode Playback Help >

Topic Options Reply to this topic Start new topicStart Poll